Sunday, June 27, 2010

Toy Story 3

One of my all time favorite movies, animated or otherwise, is Toy Story. I love the premise: toys that come to life when their owner leaves the room. The head toy, Woody, feels threatened when his kid Andy gets a hot new toy, Buzz. Over the course of the movie Woody helps Buzz realize that their main purpose is to be available for Andy, and they become as close as brothers by the end. That movie has an indescribable quality about it. Whether it is the fantastic plot, wit, humor, charm, or pure joy, Disney and Pixar captured absolute magic. It is hard to imagine that one movie could perfectly encapsulate such a full gamut of emotions. It totally revolutionized movies, animated or otherwise.

I was nervous when they made Toy Story 2. The first TS was a classic. Sequels hardly ever work as well as the original. Hollywood tends to forget what made the original great and try to "improve" the sequel. Why? I don't know. But it angers me. And that's why I was worried about TS2. How could they possibly capture the magic a 2nd time? No way right?

Wrong. They nailed it. The 2nd film explores what happens when toys feel abandoned by their owners. Woody is stolen by an evil toymaker who wants to sell him as part of a vintage set to a foreign museum. Buzz and the gang save him and remind him about his ultimate purpose: to bring joy to Andy. The magic and the genius returned: it was funny, exciting, endearing. TS2 was almost as good as the first - like how the Godfather Part II is almost as good as the Godfather. I breathed a big sigh of relief.

So naturally when I heard Toy Story 3 was being released, it was a bittersweet feeling. While I was pumped to be revisiting the world of Woody, Buzz, and the rest of the gang, I had that same previous anxiety about a sequel. But I have more trust in Pixar than any other movie studio working today. They haven't had a misfire yet and there's only one film in their canon I didn't really enjoy (Ratatouille. I just didn't enjoy it). So I walked in with cautious enthusiasm.

Boy, was I once again blown away. TS3 continues the magic started 15 years ago. In this adventure, Andy is grown and off to college. As before, the gang is worried about being abandoned and not played with. Through a series of mishaps, they end up at a daycare, which is both a blessing and a curse: a blessing because they are never outgrown and kids always want to play with them, but a curse because they never make a deeper connection with one kid.

When the toys arrive at the daycare, Woody immediately decides it's time to go back to Andy, but the rest of the group decides to stay. When they do, it appears like they've arrived at Shangri-La. Barbie finally meets Ken, and the crew meet Lotso, the leader of the daycare toys. He welcomes them and puts them in the infant room, where the toys get roughhoused. But when they ask for reassignments to the main room, where kids play with toys in a civilized manner, Lotso shows his mean streak and shows them that the daycare is like Shawshank.

Meanwhile Woody gets picked up by one of the daycare girls. When he spends the night at their house, he learns the true nature of the daycare and decides to go back and help them. He reunites with the rest of the toys and they make a break for it. At the end of the day, the gang gets back to Andy, and Andy decides to give them to the little girl who took Woody home with her. They all get a chance to love another kid.

There is so much to like in TS3 it's hard to know where to start, so I'll go with my favorites. My favorite part is when Buzz accidentally gets flipped into Spanish mode. Everything about that whole sequence is funny. I also appreciated the commentary they filmmakers make about the ruthlessness of toddler playtime. Barbie and Ken's relationship, particularly when she ties him up and uses his fashion obsession to torture him is great. I was touched when Woody, Buzz, and all the rest of the toys band together in the face of certain incineration. And Buzz's tango with Jessie during the end credits is fantastic.

TS3 solidifies for me that Pixar is the New York Yankees of animation studios. They cannot be beat. They continue to pump out films that stimulate both kids and adults on a deep emotional level. I think TS3 continues the Toy Story legacy. I'll be happy to add this film to my toybox when it comes out on DVD.

No comments:

Post a Comment