Sunday, June 13, 2010

Crazy Heart

I am not a big fan of country music. I'm trying my best to get into it (Kenny Chesney and Rascal Flats are pretty good), but there's just something about it that prevents me from getting into it and I don't know why. I've heard a wide range of country artists and groups and it is nearly impossible for me to really like them. I continue to try.

I say this because my only trepidation about watching the Oscar-winning film Crazy Heart (CH) was that it focuses on a country singer. I was worried that no matter how much I may have enjoyed the acting performances or the story, I wouldn't really love the movie because of the focus on country music.

Well color me tickled, was I wrong.

I really liked CH, and I really enjoyed its music. Produced by T Bone Burnett, the mastermind behind the music of O Brother, Where Art Thou?, CH showcases some amazing country tunes, including the Oscar-winning "The Weary Kind". I found my foot tapping and my head bobbing along with the audiences inside the movie. The music is the soul of this movie, and it is really exceptional. The film at points almost plays like a concert movie, complete with audience shots and interesting stage camera shots, and the music was so good that it made me wish I was there. What a pleasant surprise.

But please make no mistake about it, the heart of CH (no pun intended) is Jeff Bridges. He is outstanding as Bad Blake, the past-his-prime country singer that the movie focuses on. His performance alone takes this movie from pretty good to great in the same way that Jamie Foxx's performance in Ray elevates that movie a couple notches. I completely agree with the Academy's decision to award him the Oscar for Best Actor. And this isn't just a lifetime achievement Oscar win for him either - this is probably the best performance of his career. He earned his Oscar.

In my note on Facebook, I wrote that I would've given the Oscar to George Clooney for Up in the Air. I must now recant that pick after seeing this performance. Here's why: Up in the Air would still be a good movie with another actor other than George Clooney as the lead (I think Edward Norton also could've done a great job) because the writing in that movie is so strong - Clooney's performance didn't enhance that film. That's not true with CH. Without Jeff Bridges, this movie is rudimentary and cliche. It could've and probably would've fallen into the usual music biopic traps, but Bridges' performance makes this film different. Using a sports analogy, Jeff Bridges was the male acting MVP. He deserved the trophy.

That's not to say that Bridges is the only strong performance in CH. Maggie Gyllenhaal did a great job as Blake's love interest Jean, deserving of her Oscar nod. She brings a lot of warmth to the movie as a single mom who loves her son and Bad Blake, in that order. And Colin Farrell as country music superstar Tommy Sweet was a nice surprise. He reminds you that when you don't worry about his off-screen antics he is a fine actor. And props to both him and Bridges for doing their own vocal work in the movie. Couldn't have asked for more from this cast.

The story of CH following Bad Blake in the twilight of his career is really interesting and, as I mentioned, avoids a lot of the music biopic cliches. It has lots of heart and charm. The movie progressively makes you more invested in Blake and his struggle to succeed in both his personal and professional lives. You follow Blake all the way to the bottom and then accompany him as he climbs out of the holes he digs himself in. Not only do you cheer for him, you want to cheer for him. For me, that is the essence of the movies at their best.

I think CH is the American equivalent of Once, another fabulous music movie; great music centered around a very touching and somewhat tragic love story that rewards anyone who watches it and goes by way too fast (seek out the Irish film Once; it is so worth your time). At the end I almost wanted to put on my boots, don my cowboy hat, and giddy up to my local honky tonk for a rowdy good time.

Almost.

No comments:

Post a Comment