Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Sex and the City 2

Let me start by saying that I was not a fan of the HBO series the two films are based on. It's not that I actively disliked it; I've only seen between 2-5 episodes (only seen 1 from start to finish - I've seen pieces of multiple episodes) of the show. But I know that this series is the Holy Grail for most women that I know in terms of enjoyment, fashion, and sensibility. So when the first Sex and the City (SATC) movie came out, I went to see it to see what all the hulabaloo was about, besides hopefully enjoying a good movie experience.

Unfortunately for me, SATC was not a very scintillating experience (probably will never do a SATC: Revisited as I don't plan to revisit it). I found it way too long, somewhat dry, and not particularly funny. But for all the die-hard fans out there they got what they wanted: more quality time with their fav girlfriends, Carrie, Samantha, Charlotte, and Miranda and to see Carrie's wedding to Big.

So you might be wondering, "Why on earth did you go see SATC2 then?" Well, I figured that there was no way that it could be worse than the first film. I also went with a bunch of female friends of mine and thought I'd go along for the ride.

And while I didn't hate my experience at SATC2, I didn't love it either.

Now I'm sure all my female friends will say, "That's cause you're a straight guy." Maybe, but I believe almost any movie has the capacity to entertain on some level. Even if it is basic, it still provides some sort of amusement. There were a few bright spots (Liza Minelli doing the "Single Ladies" dance, Charlotte and Miranda discussing the difficulties of motherhood), but you have to wait and sit through a lot of dreck to get them that it really is cumbersome to sit through.

There are almost no laughs throughout the movie. Honestly, did the filmmakers intentionally try to break the record for most menopause jokes in one movie? And the few laughs that do exist are usually either super-crude or done at the expense of the Muslim people. Much has been made about some perceived insensitivity the women show when in Abudabi. I wasn't particularly offended, but there was an underlying tone of "Look at these backward Muslims and their way of life. How can they live this way?" instead of trying to understand why they choose to adhere to such a life. Maybe that's why many around the world say the US reputation is one of arrogance.

The film couldn't even get its hallmark, its cornerstone right. The TV show made legendary strides in the world of fashion. I didn't notice the fashion of SATC, but a lot of the fashion was far more pronounced in SATC2. And although a few outfits in Abudabi were very lovely, many of the outfits in SATC2 were just ugly and looked like a Halloween costume that even Perez Hilton would've judged harshly.

I happen to think that this show has now outlived its shelf life. It's been 6 years since the original TV show went off the air. Neither of the movies has had the same kind of magic and charm that the TV show had, at least the glimpses I've seen. This honestly makes me wonder if the adventures of Carrie, Samantha, Charlotte, and Miranda are relevant any more and have aged faster than they thought.

I'm sure most folks will dismiss my thoughts as the unrelatable rantings of a straight man who doesn't understand the jewel that SATC is. But at this point only the die hard fans can honestly say that this franchise has any juice left. If they do decide to make a SATC3, then the filmmakers need to make everything, the story, the fashion, and the laughs, feel young again.

No comments:

Post a Comment